Guys With Pencils Episode 110 - The Art and Business of LeeAnn Dufour!
This week we are joined with Lee Ann Dufour. A Toronto Local but a Quebec native. She graduated from Sheridan in 2010 but instead of going to work in the studio system she took a different path. It’s a road less traveled with fresh graduates but Lee Ann was able to make it work for her situation. Lee Ann has established herself as an successful and accomplished artist and business woman.
Have a listen if you want to know the juicy details on how she was able to make this freelance career work for her.
CHECK OUT HER SITE HERE!
ALSO! LeeAnn provided us with a list of great books for teaching yourself business techniques!
FREELANCE ARTIST REFERENCE BOOKS!!!
1. Talent is Not Enough: Business Secrets for Designers by Shel Perkins
2. The Business of Design: Balancing Creativity and Profitability by Keith Granet
3. How to be an Illustrator by Darrel Rees
4. The Graphic Design Business Book by Tad Crawford
5. G.A.G.’s Handbook of Pricing and Ethical Guidelines by Graphic Artists Guild
(All the above books include sample contracts)
6. The Strategic Designer: Tools and Techniques for Managing the Design Process by David Holston
7. The Designer’s Guide to Marketing and Pricing: how to win clients and what to charge them by Ilise Benun and Peleg Top
8. The Designer’s Guide to Business and Careers: how to succeed on the job or on your own by Peg Faimon
I recently had a chat with the amazing Guys with Pencils! Follow them because their podcast is the best!
A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation.
—Gustavo Petro, Mayor of Bogota